Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Clan Status & Stuff

Hi guys,

Communication is everything, so here we go:

I'm not sure how this will be taken, but it's the best I can offer and do ATM.  You might agree/disagree/like what I'm about to say, but it is what it is:

Our clan page at worldoftanks.com:
http://worldoftanks.com/community/clans/1000003502-TLR/

My view on clandom/clans/clanning:
I've been doing clans off-and-on since the mid/late 1990s and Quake World. I've seen mistakes. I was in some WoT clans before making this one.  Both were great experiences.  Clans usually fall into 2 bad places: #1: bad politics and #2 dead.  The #3 place is a fun clan, active, with all sorts of members and levels of involvment.  That's what I'm shooting for now.

Since I was so dedicated to WoT, and since I wanted to experience a bit more of it, I made this current clan. Shing & I ran a very successful clan in the late '90s. I'll not get into it, but my principles are as follows:

-Zero-pressure.
-Involvement: Members can do anything or nothing, up to them. If just playing WoT is all they want to do, and never being involved beyond that: good.
-If they want to do clan wars: good.
-If they want to leave the clan: good.
-If they want to contribute in _any_ way: good.
-If they are assholes, well, that ain't good....

Clans can be political, immature and can complicate what is otherwise a game I just want to play.  This one will hopefully go right.

tl;dr: anything goes with our clan, and just have fun, but lemme know what I can do to get you there....

Clan Wars:
Some want to do clan wars and are asking me about it.  Man, you gotsa know, I'm trying.  "When" I'm asked.  "Soon I hope" I hear.  Me too ... me too, but let's look at the raw facts here:

I've been recruiting pretty hard for about 6 weeks -- since making the clan.  Now, I did take a break when moving, so, for at least 4 weeks -- a month, I've been recruiting hard.  How?  Glad you asked.

-Hall of Fame: I've gone through the entire Hall of Fame, top 1,000 players with the best average experience per game, checked each one to elimate based on: A. already in a clan, B. actively playing (many simply do not play anymore), C. make sure their stats reflect the ability sought after ("hey! he has incredible stats!!! but he's played 15,000 games all in the Hotchkiss, and has no other tank").  I am now also going through other Hall of Fame pages.  If I had to estimate, I've looked at easily several thousand player profiles trying to recruit....
-I've installed the Win Rate Mod, and I look for/hunt players reflecting great skills. I do not know how many I've gone through this way, but lots and tons -- maybe as many as another 1,000.
-I've polished my recruiting skills using messaging, game chat, name it.
-No, I try not to bug/stalk people.  Once they do not respond to the invite, I'm done, and remove them from the list.  The vast majority -- 98% -- simply say nothing at all.  Some are nasty to me.  It takes  thick skin.

tl;dr: I'm working my ass off recruiting

Stats:
"FKD: why do you go by stats?  That's wrong and dumb and you are a n00b!!!"

I'm glad you asked: bcs stats matter.  I'm not arguing this.  Watch "Money Ball."  If we want to win, we have to, "get on base."  If it's any consolation to you, I recruit people with better stats than me.  I personally feel I am not a great player, or even good, and my winning measure from past experience is: always recruit people better than you -- this works in the business world to.  You should also marry that way.  Never hire or especially, marry some one who is a bigger piece of shit than you.  You'll regret it.  NO!!! If your stats are worse than mine, you are not a piece of shit.  Not all recruiting is trying to find Michael Jordans, and there are more stats than just win rate.  Other than that, I'll not explain anymore (typing too much).

tl;dr: All recruits that will participate in clan wars need a w/r of at least 53% or higher.

Help:
I need your help.  Hopefully, you've read this far, but after a solid month of hard work, we have a total membership of 14.  Of this number, only a few are active enough, only a few have tier 10s, and there's simply no way we will do a clan war any time soon at this rate -- we will eventually, but me going alone will take longer.

"FKD: what can I do to help?"

I'm very glad you asked.  Let me know what you want to do and I'll promote you to that ability.  Obviously, I need help recruiting.  I've done tons on my own so far that maybe no one knows about:

-Made this blog
-Learned how to use Gimp and made the clan logos/graphics
-Made 2 voice servers (that no one uses)
-Made a facebook page (ikr!)
-Made a twitter page (ikr!)
-Typing this monstrosity out now

tl;dr: I need your help, please reply and help recruit

Communication:
Lastly, if nothing else, I need you to communicate with me.  You don't have to (see "My view on clandom" above), but it would be great if you did.  I've sent several messages using WoT's messenger service, and I can see if they are viewed.  Of the 13 of you, only one person ever has viewed them that I saw/when I checked, days after sending.  Again, that's fine, but if you want more out of this clan, then you gotta give.  To quote Kid Rock, "you get what you put in."  But again, no pressure, not mad, not scolding, but to those who want more, this is where we are ATM. 

FYI, you can always quit (I hope you don't) and try for an established clan.  That may work better if you want Clan Wars ASAP.

tl;dr: read the gd communications I send :)

Lastly, I'd love to do emails.  Please, if you can/will, give me your email address(es).  I promise I am not a serial killer (not anymore).

-FKD


No comments:

Post a Comment